SymptomsRecently, I used a batch script in combination with PSExec to try to install an MSI file on a remote computer with Windows XP 64-bit. The installation worked just fine on Windows XP and Windows 7 32-bit but failed on the 64-bit OS. I kept getting the cryptic return code 1 from the batch script and redirecting the output of the batch script yielded an empty log file.
I was pulling my hair out when I noticed I was using version 1.95 of PSExec. After upgrading my batch script magically worked! I'm not sure why I was using an old version but from here forward I'll make sure to have 1.98 installed.